Saturday, September 7, 2013

SS USA- Quick Recap

One of my favorite photo's this year!
So I didn't write a post on this race as I really had a hard time classifying it as a race.  I went into this race a couple weeks back with skepticism as I have heard stories about the race from previous years and didn't expect much. I knew that this race would be fast as I have seen some of the participants in year's past and know they can ride. Being in Winona,MN this was the closest race this year.

Race day I showed up about 1 hour prior to race start.  Located the fellow Iowa boys, and sat around and waited for the start.  The start for the race would be about a 1 mile Lemond start on some rocky trail that was destined to have some rolled ankles.  I got through this in about 3rd and of course they moved my bike!!!!  SHIT!!!  3-5 minutes later finally found it on the opposite side of the line up from where I left it and I was off.  Got stuck behind around what felt like 100 people and they were not letting me by.  Rode behind one guy that I could not wait to get around as I was about ready to gag over the stench!!!  Finally got to the top of Holzinger and I was able get around about 20 or so folks and onto the long road section.

Blackford chasing me down!
Well being a little unorganized from a racers perspective, I pulled the whole group along for the next 10 or so miles!!  SUCKED!!!  Up the next climb I had enough of it and rode as hard as I could to gap all the folks that were not going to help.  Finally got with Blackford and we were off!!  Came up over the next 10 miles or so and caught Robnett and Devin Curran as they made a wrong turn.  Was finally with some guys that could ride and knew how to ride and it started to become fun again.  The course on the other hand was pretty lame at this point!! Lots of ATV trail, gravel roads and paved roads.  Oh yeah and a fresh cut section that was beyond crappy!!

On the long road back attrition started to take it's toll and I was able to keep pulling with Devin and a couple of others.   Devin and I rode the rest of the race together picking up various folks along the way.  Got a couple of cool views toward the end of the race, a wicked full and rocky downhill, as well as finally getting to the 7 or so miles of actually singletrack.  Holzinger was awesome and the trails were great.  The last downhill as great and fast.  Dented my rim though on this descent so little sad about that.  I was about to come in for what would finally be considered a 5th place finish as some of the front runners cut off large portions of the course!!  So I don't think I would ever travel to this event if it wasn't in my backyard.  Not really impressed but a good day of training none the less!! That is about it!  Now for an actual race write up........
Results????????  OK!

SSUSA- Garmin File

No comments: